Thank you for your participation.
NOTE: The following information is for appliance retailers or contractors (vendors, recycling facilities, etc.).
The new Texas Appliance Mail-In Rebate Program is a consumer program and Texas retailers and contractors are vital to its success. Retailers are encouraged to help Texas residents understand the rebate rules, process, and eligible ENERGY STAR® appliances. However, the consumer is responsible for filling out the paperwork correctly.
Please take time to familiarize yourself with the new program by reviewing these supplemental guides.
Specific ways you can help consumers:
Pay attention to program details and dates.
The Texas Appliance Mail-In Rebate Program will begin on Dec. 20, 2010. Only appliances purchased, installed and disposed or recycled on or after December 20, 2010 will be eligible. Verify that all communication materials (in-store and in-market) support the correct program dates. New applications must be postmarked on or before Wednesday, March 9, 2011 to be considered for funding.
- Clearly identify eligible appliances and understand ENERGY STAR appliance specifications.
Review the list of eligible appliances and efficiency criteria or search eligible appliance models. Compare the efficiency requirements to those appliances/units you sell. Pay close attention to exactly which ENERGY STAR appliances are eligible. There may be products that meet the current energy factors that are not ENERGY STAR qualified and/or there may be products labeled as ENERGY STAR that do not meet program eligibility. Please note the following:
- Clothes Washers - Only ENERGY STAR qualified clothes washers that meet the Jan. 1, 2011 specifications (Modified Water Factor 2.0 or greater and Water Factor 6.0 or less) are eligible.
- High-Efficiency Gas Storage Water Heaters - As of Sept. 1, 2010, qualifying ENERGY STAR criteria for water heaters was upgraded; only those appliances that meet this current standard are eligible.
- HVAC systems (Air-Source Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioners) - Only full HVAC system replacements are eligible. For more details, see HVAC eligibility FAQ.
- Fridges and freezers - Must be 14.5 cubic feet or greater to be eligible.
- Dishwashers - Must be standard size to be eligible.
Help consumers with their application.
- Download and print out copies of the Printable Resources (see blue box). While the application form is not needed at time of purchase, it may be helpful for consumers without internet access to read program eligibility rules while in-store.
- Provide clear and detailed information on the
receipt or invoice. To assist your customers, please ensure that all receipts/invoices include:
- Date of purchase
- Name of retailer and location of purchase, clearly identifying that the appliance was purchased from a Texas retailer or contractor
- Purchase price, separate from taxes if applicable
- Name of appliance manufacturer
- ENERGY STAR® appliance model number
- Proof of purchase
- Be prepared to complete and sign their form to verify proper disposal or recycling of the old appliance. If your company hauls away and/or recycles the old appliance, a representative must sign the consumer’s rebate application indicating proper disposal. This is necessary for the consumer to receive the rebate. The "Disposal/Recycling Information" section must be completely filled out for a consumer to be eligible for a full appliance rebate. If this section is incomplete, the application may not qualify and the consumer may not be eligible for a rebate. For more details, see FAQ for completing the "Disposal/Recycling Information" section of the application form.
- Sign up for e-mail updates specific to Retailers and Contractors to stay up-to-date on the latest information.
How to Become a Recycling Partner
If you offer recycling services and would like to become a Recycling Partner, you will need to sign and submit the Recycling Agent's Acknowledgment form. If a corporate office wishes to register the form for all of its Texas retail locations, please indicate this on the form.
Please note that consumers will not be required to use the retailers and recyclers on the Partner Recycling Agent list in order to qualify for the recycling component of the rebate. The list will simply serve as a courtesy source of information for consumers.
Consumers will be instructed to have their recycling company complete the appropriate Disposal/Recycling section on their application. This will be necessary for the consumer to receive the $75 recycling rebate. The recycling agent acknowledgement form is NOT part of the consumer rebate application.